BOOM–Coming at ya with a quick one today boys and girls!
Last night I joined a conversation at The Underground Inner Circle (<— by the way if you haven’t checked that out yet you SERIOUSLY need to–there’s been some SICK videos added lately and it’s only going to get better) about how ONLY focusing on the powerlifts can lead to immobility, muscular imbalances, injury, and an overall lack of athleticism.
Now, I’m a HUGE believer in using the basic barbell lifts like the deadlift, squat, bench and overhead press in my training programs, but a lot of times the body NEEDS a bit of a change up.
Kettlebell training, like those seen in Pavel’s Enter the Kettlebell, has become one of my favorite alternate strength and athleticism building methods.
When it comes to UPPER body strength though, I crank the bodyweight training like a MADMAN!
I’ll get away from the bench press for awhile and spend time focusing on my handstand pushups and weighted pushup variations, using different grips, hitting them on the blast straps, etc.
I’ve NEVER gotten injured doing a pushup… Can’t say the same for the bench!
If you think bodyweight only is for the WEAK, check out the standards in Coach Paul Wade’s Convict Conditioning, the ULTIMATE bodyweight training manual for getting BRUTALLY strong without equipment.
Can you do (from the Convict Conditioning web page):
According to Convict Conditioning a TRUE man can achieve:
- AT LEAST one set of 5 ONE-arm pushups each side—with the ELITE goal of 100 sets each side
- AT LEAST one set of 5 one-leg squats each side—with the ELITE goal of 2 sets of 50 each side
- AT LEAST one set of 1 ONE-arm pullups each side—with the ELITE goal of 2 sets of 6 each side
- AT LEAST one set of 5 hanging straight leg raises—with the ELITE goal of 2 sets of 30
- AT LEAST one set of 1 stand-to-stand bridges—with the ELITE goal of 2 sets of 30
- AT LEAST one set of 1 ONE-arm handstand pushups—with the ELITE goal of 1 set of 5
Well, how do YOU stack up?
I use the principles in Convict Conditioning to fuel my training and ALWAYS come back after a few weeks of training in this way stronger than ever when I get back on the bench.
Plus, it’s definitely AWESOME to be able to hit some solid handstand pushups 🙂
Take action and check out the most BADASS bodyweight training resource on the PLANET.
Stop foolin’ around, LIKE us on facebook: www.facebook.com/dungeonstrength